BELKYRA® is an individually-tailored, injectable treatment that permanently destroys fat cells under the chin
BELKYRA is a ‘First-in-Class’ injectable agent to melt fat in the chin and upper neck area that has been proven internationally to be safe and effective option to permanently reducing this common complaint.Fullness under the chin, or a double chin, can detract from an otherwise balanced and harmonious facial appearance, frequently leading to an older and heavier look which can impact how a person feels about themselves and lead to feelings of negative self-impression.
The condition can affect adults – both women and men – of all ages, weight and gender. Influenced by multiple factors including ageing and genetics, fullness under the chin is often resistant to diet and exercise. Selfies are often taken from up high, and don’t even think of photographs with a side profile!
Traditionally treatment of this area was challenging, with surgical procedures such as liposuction (which is invasive and has significant downtime) and more recently Coolsculpting (which although non-invasive, does not allow for as much flexibility to localise the areas oftreatment) being the only options available.
Belkyra is a synthetic form of an enzyme known as deoxycholic acid, which is naturally formed by the body to break down ingested fat. When injected into fat pockets under the chin, it breaks the fat cells down, allowing the body to then safely remove it from the area.
This is a relatively comfortable 20min procedure, with most patients being able to return to work the next day.Most patients will require 2-4 sessions spaced about 6-8 weeks apart, but the international results speak for themselves, and patient satisfaction rates are extremely high.
Information about Belkyra:
- Is the treatment called Belkyra or Kybella? – In the USA the treatment is called Kybella, and in Australia and the
rest of the world it is called Belkyra.
- Does Belkyra (Kybella) permanently remove double chin fat? Yes – Belkyra permanently destroys double chin fat. Once the fat cells have been destroyed they will never return.
- How many Belkyra (Kybella) treatments will I need?– We recommend at least 2 treatments of at least 2 vials to see results.
- Am I guaranteed so see results? – 68.2% of patients noticed at least a 1 grade or more improvement in the fullness of their double chin area (see scale below) and 16% of patients noticed a 2 grade or more improvement in double chin fullness.
- Will I see results straight away?– No, it takes up to 6 weeks for you to notice the effects. We treat patients at 6 week intervals.
- Is Kybella safe? – It is a non surgical treatment with an acceptable side effect profile.
- What are the main side effects of Kybella treatment? – We expect swelling around the treatment area on the day. We like swelling because it means the treatment is working. In fact, we say please call us if it does not swell! Swelling means that the body is destroying fat cells.
- Is Belkyra (Kybella) treatment painful?– We ice the neck before injections to numb the skin. After injection the area can feel warm, like the feeling of sunburn. This is a temporary side effect which settles over the next hour.
Which patients are best suited for Belkyra treatment?
- The treatment guide below shows a grading scale for double chin fat, also known as ‘sub-mental fat’. It ranges from 0 (no localised sub-mental fat) to 4 (extreme submental convexity). The ideal patient for Belkyra would be someone who is a ‘2’ or ‘3’ on sub-mental scale, so someone with moderate to severe sub-mental fullness.
Who is not suitable for Belkyra treatment?
- If you have no sub-mental fat (‘0′ on the scale above’) then Belkyra is not suitable for you.
- If you have a lot of loose skin under the chin then Belkyra may not be effective.
- If you have an active infection of the skin under the chin then you cannot have treatment.
All assessments and treatments are provided by DR EL-BAKY.